Making a Brexkit

Every now and then, we live through periods of momentous change: the first man on the moon, the fall of the Soviet Union, etc. Last week, we saw the U.K. vote for the Brexit and to leave the E.U. What happens now is anyone’s guess.

One that that is for sure, however, is the fact that I had to make Brexkit (a Brexit brisket). Seriously, the opportunity was too good to pass up. I still have to post about Stuart’s birthday brisket, but I’m going to skip ahead to this weekend.

I picked up a brisket flat on the way home from work at Costco despite being deliriously sleep deprived from the previous week. The price was exorbitant this time around; more than five dollars per pound. It also didn’t help that the largest brisket available was just under eight pounds. I’ll have to think a bit more about sourcing again. I also picked up a cooler to store briskets as they rest. I spent at least 10 minutes in a sleepy haze staring at the coolers trying to decide whether to get one.

Maybe I should have negotiated a better trade deal.

I used a 52-48 percent salt to pepper ratio for the rub to “celebrate” the Brexit. I’m surprised no one noticed. I was able to trim off the silverskin on the bottom; I left most of the fat as is. I actually ended up stir frying the trimmings for dinner. Let’s just say there’s a reason brisket is cooked low-and-slow.

A bit tough, like the realization that voting actually matters

I thought I’d shoot for 250 degrees this time, since 275 seemed a bit high. Given the temperature difference inside my grill, I figured that 250 on the lower level would reach about 260-275 at the fat cap of the brisket. This particular brisket was pretty flat, however, so I’m doubtful it made any significant difference. Keeping the temperature at 250 was actually harder than expected. My barbecue seems to prefer 275 exactly.

If you look closely, you can see the E.U. metaphorically disintegrate.

The brisket hit a particularly hard stall. It may have been the result of a little pool of fat/moisture that settled in a little pond on the brisket. I dumped it off before wrapping.

Similar to the British pound, the liquid had little value.

The brisket finished around 4:30 ish. I realized after a while that I would potentially not have enough meat for everybody. I made a quick trip to Giant and picked up a couple of chicken wings. I drowned them in lemon pepper and threw them on the barbecue with some oak to cook while we waited for the brisket to rest. For about half, I brushed on some barbecue sauce and seared them over high heat to give them a more crispy texture. I forgot to take pictures.

The brisket turned out nice. The part under where the point would be was actually pretty juicy. I didn’t let it rest as long as the last few times, so it was bit hot to touch.

These slices voted for independence.

Some things to consider in the future:

  1. Is it time to sign up for Restaurant Depot? Maybe I can get full packer briskets. I’m not sure if I can afford to get 80 dollar briskets each weekend though.
  2. I’m considering trying to make my own sauce. We keep buying bottles and never completely finishing them.
  3. If I post more about brisket, I’m going to have to write in haiku to keep it interesting.

One comment

Leave a Reply